Flowers are in full bloom and are bolder than ever. Exquisite floral bouquets are seen throughout summer collections for both men and women in apparel and accessories. Prints are ranging from the smallest scale, almost creating illusions, to the opposite side of the spectrum with large florals popping through neutral backgrounds.
This summer, blooms transition into bold is more beautiful. Brocade florals have even eased their way into top fashion. Gucci has done an amazing job incorporating these dramatic prints into accessories and apparel collections.
Pair It. Wear It.
- Bold is beautiful. Although florals continue from season to season, designers have changed their approach for summer. Michael Kors, Tory Burch and Ralph Lauren have captured and mastered this trend once again!
- Pair a printed pleated maxi or midi skirt with a plain tank, tee or bodysuit that pops one of the colors in the print. A belt can be added to the waist to finish the look whether the shirt is tucked or worn over the skirt. Add a strappy flat sandal or wedge.
- With this trend, don’t be afraid to add another pop of floral to your handbag! 3-D designs are found on both shoes and bags this season.
- A Perfect match. Matching sets are paired together to create a full bloom. Instead of incorporating a solid to break-up prints, I dare you to wear it as a matching set! Print on prints on prints. Pair your complete floral with a solid bag and a sneaker for casual daytime look.
- Short sleeve button-ups are a timeless piece to keep on hand in your wardrobe for all seasons. Dramatic prints can be paired for summer with a Chino short and slip-on sneaker or boat shoe for a daytime look.
- Pair a fun print by Double Rainbouu or Billy Reid with a Hurley Dri-Fit Chino Short, available in a variety of basic colors. The fabrication on this short allows for versatility in your look. Complete with a slip on classic Sperry boat shoe, or a slip on sneaker by Vince.
GINGHAM & PLAID
The 80’s make an entrance with Gingham and plaids. Collections are incorporating elements that take you back into the fashion time machine.
Classic print. New twist. Gingham is seen from head to toe and can be incorporated easily into your wardrobe. This season, the classic black and white print is also found in pop colors—shades of pink, blues and even brights. Plaids are also bright and playful for summer.
Pair It. Wear It.
- Pair a gingham printed bottom with a solid top or vice versa. A white bottom with a printed black and white gingham top is a classic look. Add a pop of color to the lips, shoes and handbag. Red is my go to and completes the look nicely.
- Try a monochromatic look and piece it together with a gingham printed shoe and handbag. All white with a pop of gingham anyone? J. Crew has great dresses, tops and shoes in their current collection that are right on trend.
- Add a colorful summer plaid to a basic sand-colored short. Khaki and off white carry over from spring. Unbutton a short sleeve woven and layer with a basic tee or tank. Finish with a simple boat shoe like the Boothbay or Pinch Weekender by Cole Haan.
- Incorporate plaid or gingham in a short or shoe. Lacoste, Tommy Bahama and J. Crew have a great selection whether you are looking for subtle or bold. Pair a plain t-shirt or short sleeve button up with your printed short. When working with a printed shoe, the key is to keep the rest of the outfit basic so that you don’t take away from the details in the shoe.
Shine bright for summer by pairing and wearing!